Friday, July 31, 2009

Heavily ARMA II'd

So I've been playing the ARMA II demo like I promised, and...well, I really don't know what to say (and that's not just because the Concerned dude beat me to it). It's realistic as hell, I guess, considering the keyboard mapping options menu lists "salute" and "surrender" as mappable actions. Wind affects bullets, bullets are deadly, individual damage modeling, all that jazz. The one thing that stuck with me the most, aside from the insane FPS I was getting (like twenty on the lowest settings; my computer is capable of running Crysis with pretty decent graphics), was the voice acting.

See, you seem to play as different dudes in different scenarios, and the one SP mission I played had you as Pvt. Kowolski (accepted into the squad, no doubt, because every military squad is required in the Geneva convention to have one dude with a last name ending in -ski), who fulfills the team's "annoying douchebag" role, at least in the opening cutscene for the mission. After that, though, the game begins to showcase its bizarro-world "voice acting".

See, instead of having guys read off stock lines like "Enemy ahead!", "Insurgents inbound!", "We're low on iced McCafe!", etc., they had what seems like two guys read individual words, which are then strung together on the fly to create something vaguely resembling a sentence:

2, 3, TAKE out that GRENADIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ENEMY MAN to OUR left.

ENEMY MAN, to our far ahead, RIGHT.

THE POLITO FORM IS DEAD, INSECT. I AM KOWOLSKI.

And so on. Essentially, your squadmates sound like automated phone-robot-voices, and your dude's voice suddenly changes to resemble a cross between William Shatner and SHODAN. Anyways, I died after taking out a bunch of ENEMY MANs, I died, lacked the initiative to start again, and exited. If you have some kind of magical supercomputer and computer-calculated realism takes priority over believability or fun, then ARMA II is the game for you, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment